Kleine Spreestrasse, Wilmersdorfischer Weg, Wilmersdorfer Strasse – a journey into history::
Image © SLUB Dresden / Deutsche Fotothek / Fritz Eschen
Simple lane, connecting road between Charlottenburg and Wilmersdorf, endpoint of the
Berlin light rail, location of one of Berlins first department stores and finally the frist
pedestrian area in Berlin.
In the 18.th Century it was an unpaved lane, but it already had a name: Kleine Spreestrasse.
It connected the two single towns Charlottenburg and Wilmersdorf so in 1794 it was
renamed: Kleine Spreestrasse became Wilmersdorfischer Weg. 30 years later, the street got
its final name Wilmersdorfer Strasse!
Image © Landesarchiv Baden-Würtemberg / Willy Pragher
In 1882 the Station Charlottenburg was built and the Wilmersdorfer Strasse got connected
to the railroad – thtat was the beginning oft he first boom of the street.
Another 30 years later the opening of the Berlin-Charlottenburg Subway the Wilmersdorfer
Strasse became shopping and trotting mile. One of Berlins first department stores
celebrated ist opening, other shops and fashion boutiques settled here.
After the war, and the partial destruction the city and the street were rebuilt. Again the
Wilmersdorfer Strasse becomes one of the most popular shopping streets of Berlin.
Due to the increasing road traffic in 1978 the Wilmersdorfer Strasse became the first
pedestrian area of Berlin. In the same year the street was connected to the famous metro line 7.